Best Portable Coffee Makers for Camping & Travelling
If you are a coffee enthusiast and a lover of the great outdoors, then you know how important it is to have a good cup of joe, even when you’re in the wilderness. Whether you’re waking up to a beautiful sunrise or ending a long day of hiking, a hearty cup of coffee is a camping luxury you don’t want to miss. But to brew that perfect cup, you need the right tool. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the best coffee makers for camping, ensuring you never have to compromise on the quality of your caffeine fix, no matter where you are.
Why Invest in a Camping Coffee Maker?
Sure, you could opt for instant coffee packets when camping, but if you’re a true coffee lover, you know that nothing beats the taste of freshly brewed coffee. A camping coffee maker is a small investment that makes a huge difference to your outdoor experience, providing comfort, flavor, and a touch of home, even when you’re miles away from civilization. Plus, the smell of fresh coffee brewing over a campfire? Absolutely unbeatable!
Stay tuned as we dive deeper into the various types of camping coffee makers, their pros and cons, and our top recommendations. Get ready to level up your camping game with the perfect brew.
Top 6 Best Coffee Makers for Camping on Amazon
When it comes to selecting the best camping coffee maker, several factors come into play. You might be looking for something compact, sturdy, easy to use, and of course, capable of brewing a delicious cup of coffee. After thorough research and comparison, we’ve compiled the top 5 camping coffee makers available on Amazon that check all these boxes.
Also read about: Coffee Maker Black Friday Deals
AeroPress Go Travel Coffee Press
The AeroPress Go Travel Coffee Press is our top choice due to its lightweight design and the exceptional taste of the coffee it produces. It is compact, durable, and fast, making it the perfect companion for your camping trips.
Features of AeroPress Go Travel Coffee Press
- Portable and Compact: The AeroPress Go measures just 5.3 x 3.9 x 3.9 inches and weighs a mere 0.4 lbs, making it easy to pack and carry.
- Versatile Brewing: Whether you prefer American style coffee or an espresso-style shot for making lattes, cappuccinos, and other espresso-based drinks, AeroPress Go has got you covered.
- Fast Brewing: It brews a rich, flavorful cup of coffee in as little as 1-3 minutes, perfect for those early morning wake-ups during camping.
- Efficient Design: The AeroPress Go includes a mug with a lid and a silicone stirrer, scoop, and filter holder, all of which compactly fit within the mug for convenient travel.
- Eco-friendly: Uses fine paper microfilters, which prevent grit from entering your brew, ensuring a smooth, satisfying cup of coffee every time. Plus, it’s better for the environment compared to plastic pods.
- Easy Cleaning: Cleanup is a snap with the AeroPress Go. Simply remove the used coffee filter, rinse the parts with water, and you’re ready to brew again.
Stay tuned for more comprehensive reviews on the best coffee makers for camping available in the market.
Stanley Adventure All-in-One, Boil + Brew French Press
The Stanley Adventure is a multipurpose camping tool that boils and brews your coffee all in one. Its stainless-steel design is durable and rust-proof, ensuring it will last countless camping trips.
Features of Stanley Adventure All-in-One, Boil + Brew French Press
- Multifunctional: Stanley Adventure All-in-One acts as both a coffee maker and a pot, allowing you to boil water and brew your coffee in one device, saving you both time and space in your backpack.
- Durable: Made from 18/8 stainless steel, the Stanley Adventure is rust-proof, BPA-free, and built to last, even in the harshest of camping conditions.
- Insulated Lid: The lid is double-walled, locking in the heat for longer periods, ensuring you can enjoy a hot cup of coffee whenever you want.
- Effortless Cleaning: The French press mechanism and the lid can be easily removed for a thorough cleaning, ensuring each cup of coffee tastes as fresh as possible.
- Large Capacity: With a capacity of 32 ounces, the Stanley Adventure can brew enough coffee for a whole group, so none of your camping buddies are left without a cup of joe.
- Compact Design: Despite its large capacity, the Stanley Adventure is designed to be compact and easy to pack, making it the perfect companion for any outdoor adventure.
- Carry Handle: Comes equipped with a sturdy carry handle, making it easy to transport from your campfire to your camping table.
GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip
For those who prefer drip coffee, the GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip is an ideal choice. This lightweight and compact gadget is easy to use and clean, making it a hassle-free choice for campers.
Features of GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip
- Ultralight and Compact: The GSI Outdoors Java Drip weighs just 0.32 ounces and collapses down into a small disc, making it the perfect lightweight option for backpackers.
- Simple Brewing: Simply place the Java Drip on top of your mug, add a filter and coffee grounds, then pour over hot water for a delicious drip coffee.
- Clip-On Design: It features a clip-on design that securely attaches to nearly any mug or cup, making it easy and stable to use.
- No Waste: This device uses a reusable mesh filter, eliminating the need for paper filters and reducing waste on the trail.
- Easy to Clean: Cleaning the Java Drip is as simple as rinsing the filter, making it quick and easy to prepare for your next brew.
- Durable: Made from sturdy, durable materials, this coffee maker is designed to withstand the rigors of outdoor use.
MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea Filter
The MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea Filter is a versatile tool for brewing both coffee and tea on the go. It’s compact, lightweight, and easy to use, making it a favorite among both campers and backpackers.
Features of MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea Filter
- Portable and Lightweight: Weighing just 1 ounce, the MugMate is hardly noticeable in your backpack, making it perfect for minimalists who want to travel light.
- Versatile Brewing: This device can be used with coffee or loose-leaf tea, offering flexibility for your beverage of choice.
- Simple to Use: Simply add your coffee or tea, pour over hot water, and let it steep.
- No Filters Needed: The MugMate uses a reusable metal filter, eliminating the need for disposable filters and making it an eco-friendly choice.
- Easy to Clean: Cleaning the MugMate is as simple as rinsing the filter under running water.
- Durable: Made with sturdy plastic and a stainless-steel filter, the MugMate is durable and designed to last, even with frequent use.
Wacaco Minipresso GR
If espresso is your preferred brew, the Wacaco Minipresso GR is the perfect camping companion. This compact, handheld espresso maker is simple to use and produces a quality shot of espresso wherever you are.
Features of Wacaco Minipresso GR
- Compact and Portable: At just 6.89 x 2.75 x 2.36 inches and weighing 0.8 lbs, the Minipresso GR is small enough to take anywhere.
- Easy to Use: Simply add ground coffee and hot water, then manually pump to produce a shot of espresso.
- High-quality Espresso: Despite its small size, the Minipresso GR is capable of reaching 116 PSI, the same pressure as traditional espresso machines, ensuring a quality shot every time.
- No Power Needed: The manual operation means you don’t need to worry about electricity or batteries, making it perfect for camping trips.
- Cleaning: The Minipresso GR is easy to disassemble for thorough cleaning, ensuring your espresso always tastes fresh.
Stay tuned for more comprehensive reviews on the best coffee makers for camping available in the market.
Primula Brew Buddy Portable Pour Over, Reusable Fine Mesh Filter
The Primula Brew Buddy provides a simple and effective way to enjoy a great cup of coffee while camping. Its design is user-friendly, and the fine mesh filter is reusable, making it an environmentally friendly choice.
Features of Primula Brew Buddy Portable Pour Over, Reusable Fine Mesh Filter
- Portable and Compact: The Primula Brew Buddy’s design is perfect for travel, lightweight and small enough to fit in any backpack or camping gear.
- Easy to Use: The simple design allows for straightforward brewing; just place the Brew Buddy over your cup, add coffee grounds, pour hot water, and let it steep.
- Reusable Fine Mesh Filter: The fine mesh filter eliminates the need for disposable paper filters, making it a more environmentally friendly option.
- Versatile: The Brew Buddy’s design is not only suited for coffee but for tea as well.
- Cost-Effective: The Primula Brew Buddy offers excellent value for money, providing a high-quality brewing option at a reasonable price.
- Durable: Built to last, the Primula Brew Buddy is made of durable materials that are sure to stand up to frequent use.
- Easy to Clean: The Brew Buddy is dishwasher safe, making clean up quick and easy after your outdoor coffee brewing experience.
Each of these coffee makers offers its unique features and benefits, giving you options to find what best suits your camping needs. Remember, a good day starts with a great cup of coffee, even when you’re in the wilderness!
Types of Camping Coffee Makers
1. French Press
A classic and reliable choice, the French press is a camping staple for many coffee lovers. It consists of a long cylindrical carafe with a plunger that has a metal mesh filter attached to it. To use, simply add coarse ground coffee to the carafe, pour hot water over it, and let it steep for a few minutes. Then, push the plunger down to separate the grounds from the coffee, and voila – you have a rich and flavorful cup of coffee.
- Easy to use
- No need for paper filters
- Durable and long-lasting
- Requires coarse ground coffee
- Can be slightly bulky to pack
Recommended Product: GSI Outdoors JavaPress French Press
The GSI Outdoors JavaPress is a lightweight and compact option for camping. It has a durable stainless steel design, with a silicone ring for added insulation. Plus, it comes with its own carrying case, making it easy to pack and take on your outdoor adventures.
2. Pour Over
For those who prefer a lighter and cleaner cup of coffee, the pour-over method is an excellent choice. It involves pouring hot water over coffee grounds in a filter, which then drips into a carafe or mug below. This method allows for precise control over the brewing process, making it great for experimenting with different flavors.
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to clean
- Provides a clean and pure cup of coffee
- Requires paper filters
- Takes longer to brew compared to other methods
- Can be tricky to get the perfect balance of water and grounds
Recommended Product: AeroPress Go Portable Travel Coffee Press
The AeroPress Go is a compact and versatile option for pour-over coffee on the go. It includes a reusable metal filter, eliminating the need for paper filters, and has a durable plastic design. The best part? It also serves as a coffee mug, making it perfect for solo camping trips.
3. Portable Espresso Maker
For those who can’t start their day without a strong shot of espresso, a portable espresso maker is a must-have for camping. These machines use a small amount of hot water and high pressure to extract the perfect shot of espresso, giving you that caffeine kick you need when in the great outdoors.
- Small and compact
- Provides strong and flavorful espresso
- Can also make other espresso-based drinks like lattes or cappuccinos
- Requires more maintenance and cleaning compared to other methods
- Can be more expensive
Recommended Product: Wacaco Nanopresso Portable Espresso Maker
The Wacaco Nanopresso is a highly rated and reliable option for on-the-go espresso. It has a compact and lightweight design, with a built-in cup and scoop for convenience. Plus, it also has an optional adapter for using Nespresso capsules, giving you even more variety in your camping coffee game.
Tips for Choosing the Right Camping Coffee Maker
With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right camping coffee maker. Here are some tips to help you make the best decision:
- Consider your preferred brewing method and taste preferences
- Think about the size and weight of the coffee maker for easy packing and transport
- Look for durable and long-lasting materials, especially if you go camping frequently
- Check if the coffee maker requires any additional accessories, such as filters or a heat source, to see if they are feasible for your camping setup
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use regular ground coffee in a camping coffee maker?
Yes, you can use regular ground coffee in most camping coffee makers. However, some, like the French press, require a coarser grind for the best results. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure you’re using the right type of coffee.
2. How do I clean my camping coffee maker?
The method of cleaning will depend on the type of camping coffee maker you have. For most, a simple rinse with warm water and mild soap should be sufficient. Remember to dry your coffee maker thoroughly before packing it away to prevent mildew growth.
3. What’s the best way to heat water for camping coffee?
There are several ways to heat water while camping. The most common methods include using a camping stove, a campfire, or a portable kettle. The choice depends on your camping setup and what you find most convenient.
4. Can I use a camping coffee maker at home?
Absolutely! The beauty of camping coffee makers is their versatility. While they are designed for outdoor use, there’s nothing stopping you from using them at home. In fact, it can be a great way to enjoy a different brewing method.
5. Do I need to use a specific type of water for my camping coffee?
No, you can use any water that’s safe to drink. However, the quality of the water can affect the taste of your coffee, so if you’re very particular about your brew, you might want to consider using filtered or bottled water.
6. How long does it take to make coffee with a camping coffee maker?
The time it takes to brew coffee will depend on the type of coffee maker and the brewing method. For example, a French press might take around 5 minutes, while an espresso maker can take approximately 2-3 minutes. Always check your coffee maker’s instructions for the most accurate brewing time.
No matter your preferred brewing method or budget, there is a perfect camping coffee maker out there for you. It’s time to upgrade your camping coffee game and never settle for instant coffee again. With the right tools, you can enjoy a delicious and comforting cup of joe in the great outdoors, making your camping experience even more enjoyable. So pack your bags, grab your favorite coffee beans, and get ready to brew up some happiness on your next adventure! Happy camping!